The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Digital Camera is a compact point-and-shoot featuring a 16.2MP 1/2.3″ Exmor R Back Side Illuminated CMOS sensor for producing high resolution imagery with notable low-light performance. The sensor is greatly benefitted by the inclusion of the BIONZ image processor, which provides fast performance throughout the camera, including a 10fps continuous shooting rate, and impressive low-light sensitivity to an expandable ISO 12800. Full HD 1080i video recording is also supported up to 60fps in the high quality AVCHD format. These imaging capabilities are benefitted by the inclusion of an 8x optical zoom Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens, giving a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 25-200mm. This zoom range can effectively be doubled, too, using Clear Image Zoom that employs an intelligent interpolation algorithm to increase zoom magnification with minimal image quality loss. For shooting in low-lit conditions and when working at longer zoom magnifications, Optical SteadyShot image stabilization helps to counter the effects of camera shake.
The WX80 also features built-in Wi-Fi connectivity for transferring images and video between the camera and an Android or iOS device with the PlayMemories app. This allows you to instantly share your imagery with others on social networking or image hosting sites as well as backup to your home computer or cloud services.
For monitoring and playback of images, and for navigating the menu system, a 2.7″ 230k-dot Clear Photo LCD is available and offers five brightness steps to aid in viewing in bright conditions. There are also a host of camera effects to further refine the appearance of your imagery including Superior Auto Mode, Picture Effects, Beauty Effects, Face and Blink Detection, and Intelligent Sweep Panorama.
16.2MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor and BIONZ Image Processor
8x Optical Zoom Carl Zeiss Lens and Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization
A built-in 8x optical zoom Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 25-200mm, giving wide-angle to telephoto perspectives to suit most shooting situations. Five aspherical lenses are integrated into the lens’ construction, helping to reduce chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range. Further extending this lens’ capabilities is Clear Image Zoom, which can effectively double the optical zoom magnification with minimal image degradation. This intelligent digital zoom utilizes the BIONZ processing capabilities to comparatively asses neighboring pixels to more effectively interpolate information for creating well-detailed and more realistic-appearing imagery at greater magnifications.
Significantly benefitting this lens’ long-range abilities is built-in Optical SteadyShot image stabilization, which helps to lessen the appearance of camera shake. 2-Way Active Mode functions by correcting for both vertical and horizontal motion, making it suitable for producing sharp imagery while moving.
Other Camera Features
- The 2.7″ 230k-dot Clear Photo LCD monitor is a bright, clear means for composing imagery and reviewing photos and videos.
- Enhanced Superior Auto mode will automatically determine camera settings to best expose for your subject matter, even in dark or difficult lighting situations, to provide you with clear, highly-detailed imagery.
- Picture Effects help to add increased mood to imagery by altering their appearance to suit your creative direction. Effects include HDR Painting, Richtone Monochrome, Miniature, Toy Camera, Pop Color, Partial Color, Soft High Key, Watercolor, and Illustration.
- Beauty Effect gives you the ability to enhance subjects’ skin tones, smooth the appearance of their skin, remove blemishes and shine, whiten teeth, and more.
- Intelligent Sweep Panorama mode allows you to create wide, up to 360°, panoramic images in-camera simply by sweeping your camera about the scene. Moving subjects and faces are also taken into account when stitching together images to produce smooth, seamless images with minimal distortion and a natural appearance.
- Face and Blink Detection work to improve portraits by emphasizing focus and exposure on the subjects’ face and help to ensure images are captured when your subjects’ eyes are open.